We are happy to announce that our Mental Health and Addictions Support Worker Certificate is accredited by the Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation. After students have graduated from the program, they can apply to become a Canadian Certified Addiction Counsellor or a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counsellor. One hundred and twenty hours from their studies at Ashton will count towards part of their clinical supervision time required for certification. This is an incredible field providing necessary services and creating fantastic careers. Read on to learn all about the CACCF, the process to become a Canadian Certified Addiction Counsellor, and more about the Mental Health and Addictions field.
What is the CACCF?
The Canadian Addiction Counsellors Certification Federation is non-profit organization that has been operating for 36 years and has certified thousands of addiction counsellors across Canada in their many years of service. The CACCF promotes, certifies, and monitors the competency of addiction specific counsellors in Canada using current and effective practices, which are internationally recognized. Their mission is to protect the public by being the gold standard provider for addiction crediting both in Canada and internationally.
Ashton College and the CACCF
Ashton College’s partnership with the CACCF means that graduates of our program meet the education requirements to become a Canadian Certified Addiction Counsellor (CCAC) or an International Certified Alcohol and Drug Counsellor (ICADC). This provides our graduates with a great head start in their future careers, as well as providing the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in the Mental Health and Addictions field.
Starting Your Career in the Mental Health and Addictions Field
Professionals in this career are essential to providing care and rehabilitation to those struggling with addiction. Addictions counsellors help individuals, families, and communities identify and deal with addictions and their effects through treatment programs and prevention programs. Therefore, certification is so important, to be able to provide the most up-to-date information and care. Alcohol and Drug Counsellors are trained professionals that help clients to better understand and overcome their addictions by offering them support, rehabilitation, and guidance. These high demand professionals are an essential part of alcohol and drug rehabilitation services. Certification is particularly important in order to be able to provide the most up-to-date information and care. Certification can also expand what job opportunities are available to you.
Requirements for Certification
To be accredited by the CACCF means the program meets the criteria and competencies required for both Canadian and International Certifications. Qualifications to become a Canadian Certified Addiction Counsellor or International Certified Alcohol and Drug Counsellor include:
- 300 hours of supervised clinical training, 120 of which will be covered by the MHASW Diploma Program
- 270 hours of education in the knowledge and skill areas
- Applicants for the addiction counsellor certification equivalent of 3 years full-time work experience (6000 hours) within the past 5 years, providing direct, supervised counselling services to persons with the primary diagnosis of alcoholism and/or drug addiction
- Applicants for the alcohol and drug counsellor certification must have the equivalent of two (2) years full-time work experience (4000 hours) within the past five (5) years providing direct and regularly supervised counselling services to persons with the primary diagnosis of substance abuse
- An active CACCF membership, which can be applied for through the CACCF website
- Submission of a portfolio application detailing their work experience, education, supervised clinical training, a signed Canon of Ethics, and the applicable administrative fee
- Passing a written examination based on the Twelve Core Functions that has been approved by the IC&RC
More about the Mental Health and Addictions Support Worker Diploma Program
If you have been thinking about starting your career in this field, this fantastic addictions and mental health program will give you the tools and foundations to become a skilled and in-demand professional. Individuals will get the opportunity to learn about mental health disorders, substance abuse, treatment plans and about healthcare in Canada.